How to Apply
One $10,000 scholarship will be awarded in 2018.It will be allocated in $2,500 installments over four years.
- To be eligible for the $10,000 scholarship you will need to include in your application a one page (maximum) letter of support from a teacher, coach, school counselor, adult mentor, pastor, etc. describing your character and why they recommend you for this scholarship.
- Several other scholarships of various amounts will be awarded in 2018. To be eligible for the scholarships less than $10,000 you do not need a letter of support.
How to apply:
Scholarship awards are based on the students’ response to each of the following six questions or statements. Please submit your application below as a Microsoft Word or Google Document. Sources should be listed for questions 1 & 2. If you don’t have a Google account you can email it to Alex Rice at email@example.com as a Microsoft Word or Google Document, see below for additional information.
The Scholarship application must be submitted no later than Monday, February 4th , 2019 at midnight.
Application Details & Questions
For those who are creating their own document please include the following information in your document and answer the questions. Make sure to list your sources for questions 1 & 2. Please type out each question, followed by your response. All essays should be typed in 12pt font size, Times New Roman font and double-spaced. Once completed please send to Alex Rice at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Al Forthan Scholarship Application:
Phone Number: ________________________________________
High School: __________________________________________
(1) It is a fact that alcohol and drugs are widely used and abused by teenagers in the United States. Research this topic and describe some of the solutions to this problem. (1page)
(2) Research how race and class correlate with incarceration rates in terms of alcohol and drug addiction. (1 page)
(3a) Use the table below to list all volunteer/community service work and high school activities (sports, drama, music, student government, etc.) and the number of hours and or years you have participated in those activities.
(3b) Describe how the volunteer/service work you performed has impacted you, what has been most meaningful to you, and how the work has shaped your future. (1 page)
(4) Please describe any income barriers you face to your higher education and describe how the scholarship will benefit you in reaching your goals. (1 page)
(5) Describe how alcohol and drug addiction in your family has affected you personally. How did you cope? (1.5 Page)
(6) To be eligible for the $10,000 scholarship you will need to include in your application a one-page(maximum) letter of support from a teacher, coach, school counselor, adult mentor, pastor, etc. describing your character and why they would recommend you for this scholarship. Please include the following information about the person providing the recommendation: Name, Title, Relationship to You, Email, Phone Number.
- If you have any questions, contact Alex Rice
- Phone: 503-802-0299