Facts about Domestic Violence
Domestic violence is the systematic use of emotional, physical, sexual, economical, or spiritual abuse tactics to gain and maintain power and control over an intimate partner
- 1 in 7 women in Multnomah County ages 18 to 64 are physically abused by their intimate partner each year.
- 1 in 5 teenagers in a serious relationship reports being hit, slapped or pushed by a partner.
- 21,000 children in Multnomah County are exposed to domestic violence each year.
- Domestic violence accounts for nearly 50% of violent crime in Portland.
- Domestic violence is non-discriminatory -- it affects people of every age, race, gender, sexual orientation and income level.
- In Oregon, 48% of victims remain in an abusive home because they do not have a safe and affordable place to live.
- 38% of all domestic survivors become homeless at some point.
What is Domestic Violence
Myths about Domestic Violence
What is Sexual Assault
Myths about Sexual Assault